Sunday, May 16, 2010

En route


Sitting in the Miami Airport with my salad (the healthy choice) and cheese fries (what I actually wanted). I got up at 5 this morning (Eastern time, 4 Central...and I'm such a morning person) to drive from Lexington, KY to the Cincinnati (KY) airport. Aside from my sorta tense mama ("Oh, these people don't know how to check in. There are three kiosks open. Look at the line. Excuse me, you can use that kiosk sir!), that process went very smoothly. I passed out hunched over in my chair waiting to board, and am pretty sure I woke myself up snoring on the plane, but had two seats to myself to curl up into the fetal position during the flight.
I got into Miami, concourse D. I've never flown into the Miami airport before, so this meant nothing to me. After standing dumbfounded in the middle of the airport trying to figure out how to find concourse H, I found an airport map. Perfect. I can do that. So I traversed concourse D for awhile, until I found another airport map. At this point, I appeared to be just in front of where I needed to turn. There were stairs, but they were blocked off. I was sure I needed to be up a level, but couldn't figure it out. Oh, by the way, I was only given my first boarding pass in Cinci because I had to switch airlines in Miami, so I was wandering the terminal without one. I proceeded to ask a flight attendant how to get to concourse H. He apologized profusely for the long hike I was about to embark on (I already knew it was on the other side of the airport, given my session with the map), and directed me outside, due to the construction that American was doing on their gates. I thanked him and told him there was no need to apologize, and exited concourse D, headed outside, and began the search for concourse H. It was then that I realized I had most certainly left the secure area. Such is my life. These are the things that I do. According to the departure screen, I was flying Copa Airlines (this I knew), which was connected with Continental. I first found the check in gates for Continental Airlines, and attempted to scan my passport at their kiosk. Fail. I asked an agent who (rightfully) looked at me like I was an idiot, and directed me to the Copa desk. At this point, I had to speak to the ticketing agent, explain that I did not have a boarding pass and that I was supposed to get it in Miami, and also that I was aware I had accidentally left the secure area. However, when you smile, are polite, and seem kind of stupid, people are really very nice and helpful. She took care of me and directed me (quite specifically) to where I needed to be. After making my way through security for the second time today, I landed at my gate (nearly three hours early), purchased the aforementioned lunch for $12.72, and sat down to wait...and wait...and wait.

After this flight, I will be in Panama. OOOOHHH LORDY!

2 comments:

  1. Well, one thing I know for sure.... this adventure of yours is going to most assuredly be one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the airport updates, Little Debbie!!! i flew through Miami too and was stuck there a couple of hours. Love the ocean theme they have going on. It's like your waiting for your flight in an aquarium. ; )

    ReplyDelete