Monday, May 24, 2010

SO MUCH SPANISH!

I miss my English-speaking Canadian friend!

Dear Judy, I have a picture for you. I brought my paints, brushes, pencils, and paper to Panama, and painted postcards with wine the other day. Bueno.



Amanda and Leah went on a little resort vacay, and in the meantime, I went to a conference put on by the Alliance of Panamanian Women. I tried sooooo hard to get everything they were saying the first day. I did alright (except when people talked at me specifically—not sure if it’s a dialect thing or a speed thing or an I don’t speak Spanish thing—I think it’s a speed thing, so I now feel pretty bad about speaking quickly in class when people tell me the international students have no idea what I’m saying…karma). Anyway, it was an interesting experience to see what issues Panamanian women see as pertinent and what they want to do about them. However, by day two, when they were sharing ideas I had kind of checked out of the Spanish and decided to daydream and concentrate more on how to make my headache go away.



We got a sticker in our packet at the beginning that is super sweet!



My body, my territory.

Chico feministo.



At the end of the first day, I kid you not, they got out nail polish and did everyone’s nails.



Big deal here? We also got a little pouch for attending filled with a mirror (that every Panamanian, I swear, got out and started fixing their face with before the conference started), a nail file, a pen, and a wash cloth. Hilarious.

But seriously, I could not have been more happy to be in Chitre afterward. That was a long couple of days. Now to return to my specific project.

5 comments:

  1. Yay for art projects y espanol! Thanks so much for the painting. I can't wait to see it come August!!! = )

    Abrazos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my nails done before I left for my trip. At least my toes, so I could have probably used the fingernail session. What color did you decide to go with?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha, i just got a clear coat and they filed them. i felt like i should let other women do theirs, but this woman was very insistent, and apparently when i said no she took that as...ok, no color, but we can throw a good topcoat on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's probably a speed thing. I know they tell me to slow down when I speak English.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waiting for a new update on this blog. I know you went to the beach....but only b/c of the pictures on facebook.

    ReplyDelete